Monday, April 21, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Allegiant

Allegiant
by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent (#3)

"One Choice Will Define You."

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

Excerpt:
"I fell in love with him.  But I don't just stay with him by default as if there's no one else available to me.  I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other.  I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me." - Tris, "Allegiant"

My Review:
This book has a big change of pace from the previous two.

The majority of it takes place outside of the city, which you find out is actually a futuristic version of Chicago.  Tris, Tobias, and their friends learn more about what happened before their city was formed, why it was made the way it was, and why no one in the city ever knew there were really people - or really anything - outside their border.

A new revolution is still brewing inside Chicago, the Allegiant versus the factionless.  It is up to Tris and Tobias to stop it before the entire city as they know it is destroyed, but from the outside, this is difficult to do.  They can see everything that is going on, but they can't really interact without going back inside. 

Once again, Tris and Tobias are in agreement that something needs to be done, but they find themselves disagreeing on what that course of action will be.  Inevitably, it is a turning point in their relationship that they might not be able to come back from.

This book made me laugh, yell in anger, and yes, cry.  I pretty much bawled at the end. 

I wasn't sure how I felt about the ending.  Well, that's not entirely true.  It didn't sit well with me at all.  Even by the last page, I still felt shaken and angered by what had happened, and I still hadn't adjusted to it. I understand why it ended the way it did, but I wasn't happy at all.

For that reason, I give Allegiant, the last book of the Divergent series, 4 stars instead of 5.

After reading Allegiant, you should check out this post by the author.  ONLY AFTER YOU'VE READ THE WHOLE TRILOGY, AS THERE ARE MASSIVE SPOILERS IN HER BLOG POST!!!  Here you go: http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com/2013/10/about-end-of-allegiant-spoilers.html?m=0




Happy reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment