Saturday, May 3, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window

Title: The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window
Author: Kirsty Moseley
Rating: 3/5

Description from Goodreads:
Amber Walker and her older brother, Jake, have an abusive father. One night her brother's best friend, Liam, sees her crying and climbs through her bedroom window to comfort her. That one action sparks a love/hate relationship that spans over the next eight years. Liam is now a confident, flirty player who has never had a girlfriend before. Amber is still emotionally scarred from the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father. Together they make an unlikely pair. Their relationship has always been a rocky one, but what happens when Amber starts to view her brother's best friend a little differently? And how will her brother, who has always been a little overprotective, react when he finds out that the pair are growing closer? Find out in The Boy Who Sneaks In My Bedroom Window.

Excerpt:
"I was talking about you," he said quietly.  My back tensed.  Me?  "I've been crazy about you since the first time I saw you, Angel.  But your brother wouldn't let me anywhere near you.  All this time it's only ever been you."  He looked at the floor like a little lost boy, and I couldn't breathe.


 My Review:
The Boy Who Sneaks in  My Bedroom Window surprised me.  I didn't really know what to expect based off of the title, but it was suggested to me by someone I trust when it comes to books (and anything else really), so I gave it a shot.

By the end of the first few chapters, I was in love with Liam.  I wanted to beat Amber over the head for not realizing what a great guy he actually was and that he was in love with her.  Liam basically plays the part of the perfect boyfriend, even before he and Amber were a couple.  He's sweet, caring, and protective.  He was a little too grabby for my taste, but everything else he did kind of made up for that.  He's one of those guys who would do anything - literally - for his girl.  You might go as far as to say that he's more than a little bit whipped, but it comes off as sweet.

I had mixed feelings about Amber.  I get that she went through a lot.  She went through more than any person on this earth ever should.  For this reason, she had previously been set against dating anyone.  At sixteen, she had never had a boyfriend, not even one of those silly little hold-hands-for-a-couple-days-and-then-call-it-quits kind of things we called "dating" in middle school - something that we all did at one point or another, whether we want to admit it or not.  Understandably, she's a little gun-shy about boys thanks to her father.

Liam is different though.  Anyone with eyes can see it in the way he treats her.  Yes, he is a man whore, but the way he treats her is different, the entire way through the book.  What he does with other girls is a distraction for him.  Amber is the real deal.  This is why, considering she has known him for literally most of her life, I wanted to beat her over the head with something for not realizing the truth.

But the mixed feelings aren't only from that.  She made so many dumb, rash decisions all the way through the book, putting herself in dangerous situations, including one in which her life was not the only one in danger and proved a fatal choice.  I liked her for the first half of the book.  I got past the Liam issue because she eventually did catch on, but when she made stupid decision after stupid decision afterward, I started to lose respect for her.

Don't get me wrong, the story is good.  I loved it.

However, I felt that some of the writing and descriptions could have been a bit better.  Too many phrases were used excessively and some didn't seem fitting for the scene and what was going on.


If you can look through the imperfections, the story is sweet and memorable.  I gave it three stars because of the writing, but no less because I loved the story line and fairly well thought-out plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment