Wednesday, May 7, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: My Blood Approves

My Blood Approves
By: Amanda Hocking
Rating: 4/5

Description from Goodreads:
Teenager Alice Bonham's life feels crazy after she meets Jack. With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave, he's unlike anyone she knows. Then she meets his brother, Peter. Even though he can't stand the sight of her, she's drawn to him. Falling for two guys isn't even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood.

Excerpt:
So. You haven’t texted me.

You’re very observant. I responded.

My plan was to try to be indifferent. I didn’t appreciate the idea that I had probably fallen victim to some kind of spell or hormonal manipulation.

Does that mean you don’t want to be friends?

He actually typed that, like a note I’d get in the first grade. Something about that completely endeared him to me, and since I couldn’t smell or see him, I decided that must mean that I actually liked him.
No. I do. Definitely.

“Who is that?” Milo asked with an edge to his voice. He was sitting at the other end of the couch from me, and he leaned over so he could look at my phone, but I turned it away from him. “It’s that Jack guy, right?”

“You do realize it’s perfectly legal for me to text members of the opposite sex.” I gave Milo a hard look and he just shook his head.

“Whatever,” Milo said and turned his attention back to the movie. My phone rang again, and Milo made a humph sound.

Excellent. Wanna do something? Jack messaged.

What did you have in mind?

Anything. Everything. The city is our oyster! Jack texted back.

That sounds pretty ambitious. I replied, but it did sound exciting.

It is. So can you be ready in like fifteen minutes? Jack asked.

Sure. Meet you outside.


In a flash, I touched up my make up and slid on shoes. Before rushing out the door, I promised Milo that I wouldn’t be home too late and that I had my phone if he needed me. He grunted at me, and then I dashed out to meet Jack.

My Review:
Alice and her best friend, Jane, are rescued from a dangerous situation by a mysterious, handsome guy that they've never met.  Jane is immediately entranced by the good-looking stranger, but he only has eyes for Alice.  As time passes and they become closer, Alice becomes equal parts head over heels for Jack and frustrated with him for not telling her the secret that she feels he is keeping from her about himself and his family.  When finally the truth can't be avoided any longer and Jack tells her the biggest of his secrets, Alice is in for the surprise of her life.  Jack and his family are vampires.

I really liked this book.  I admit, the first time or two I tried reading it years ago, I just couldn't get into it at first and ultimately put it down to read something else.  Now, I've finally come back to it, and I devoured the entire series - or at least the 4 out of 5 books that have been released. 

In My Blood Approves, I loved the dynamic between Alice and Jack.  Everything just seemed so easy between them.  I was definitely Team Jack the whole way through.  Peter was not my favorite.  He did grow on me later in the series, but I couldn't stand him in this first book.

The one character I could not stand was Jane.  She was just - for lack of a better word - a bitch.  She was so self-centered and shallow that it seemed impossible that she could be anyone's best friend but her own.  I really did not feel that she was good for Alice (just look at how we're introduced to her - dragging Alice along to a string of clubs, even though not only are they under age, but Alice just wasn't interested in being there, especially not for the reasons Jane was).

By the end of the book, I really just wanted Jack to turn Alice into a vampire already.  It seemed like the next logical step, but I understood why she didn't want to leave her brother behind, especially with the kind of mother they seemed to have.


Ultimately, I give this book a 4/5.  I would have given it a 5/5, but there were a lot of editorial mistakes in the book.  I loved the writing, and so far have loved all of Amanda Hocking's books, but as far as the Kindle books that she has self-published go, I feel that she needs a better editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment